Geocaching


Geocaching is one of my new interests. (Pronounced 'geo cashing') I was introduced to this new sport last spring by my oldest son and his wife. They took me on my first hunt and it was so much fun!! If you haven't heard of it this is the definition from Geocaching.com.

"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache."


A cache is a treasure, so basically it's a treasure hunt using a GPS. This is a sport done all over the world and in almost every one's home town. All you need is a decent GPS and a computer to download your coordinates. You can keep to the simple caches that are easy to get to, or you can do the off road, out in the boondocks searches.


I have now figured out how to find caches in my area on the computer and load them on my GPS. The next step is to go find them, which I am planning on doing very soon. My name on the geocaching site is smithtrekkers, if you want to look me up. The picture is of me after I found my first cache with my kids in the Virginia area. I hope some of you will try this new sport. It's really something different, a lot of fun, and a good way to get out of the house. You might even get a little exercise. Go to the geocaching site and read more about it.















2 comments:

Megan said...

We did have a lot of fun on that first geocache, didn't we? Your post about it makes me want to head out again soon!

Unknown said...

I loved doing this! Several times in the past couple of weeks I have found myself thinking "It is so beautiful...I wish we could go geocaching!" Thanks for getting me hooked on such a fun activity!!!

(from Casey)