One of My Experiments

I love cooking experiments!! Sometimes they are edible and sometimes not, but that doesn't stop me. Today I altered a recipe I had for a low fat cake. That recipe is only a cake mix and a diet cola mixed together then baked, no eggs or oil. It is pretty good, although the texture is a little different.

Danny loves pineapple upside down cake, so I had a brain storm and decided to try to create a low fat version with that recipe. He really doesn't care about the low fat stuff, but I still have the dreaded 5 - 8 pounds to take off to reach my Weight Watchers goal.

Well, the following recipe is the results. Danny has given it his seal of approval, which is not very easy to get. He can be brutally honest sometimes. I liked it too. It's tasty and easy.



Pineapple Upside Down Slim Cake


1 cake mix, yellow or white

1 (12 oz.) Diet Sprite or 7-Up

1 large can Pineapple, slices or crushed - drained

½ cup brown sugar, packed

2 Tbs. low fat margarine, melted


Heat oven to 350°. Spray 9 X 13 rectangular pan.
Arrange pineapple on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Drizzle margarine over the top. Mix slightly. Mix cake mix and Sprite with a whisk until blended. Pour over pineapple mixture.
Bake 45 minutes or until browned around edges and toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool 10 - 15 minutes, then invert on a platter. Cake will be a bit gooey, but very delicious especially warm with a bit of Cool Whip Free.

Servings: 12
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes

6 comments:

GG said...

I knew my daughter was smart! This sounds like a great recipe for Dad & I. We'll sure try it.

Megan said...

2 posts in a week?! Way to go!

The recipe sounds great! We'll have to give it a try.

PS- I have the dreaded 50-55 pounds to lose to reach my goal. :) Okay, maybe it's not that bad!

Vicki said...

Yea! two in one week, I'm on a roll. And, there's no way you have 50+ pounds to lose. Thanks for the comments!

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Vicki, I think you should call it Pinapple Upside Slim Down Cake! Looks yummy!